Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sophia Carol Joins our Bunch...


We welcomed Sophia Carol into our family on July 9, 2010 at 11:18pm. Sophia means "wisdom from God" and Carol was my mom's middle name. I had thought about using Carol as a middle name for Madelyn and decided at the last minute not to. I think my mom would be embarassed to be honest. She never wanted any sort of attention. So I felt that that was the right decision at that time. Though, since then, I have often thought about how it would have been nice. Having a second girl, gave me that opportunity back. It wasn't even a discussion. Carol was the middle name right from the start. I just wish my mom could meet her.
It certainly is an adjustment going from only one child to two! We are back to sleepless nights and familiar crying and poopy diapers. What we aren't familiar with this time around is how to handle having a toddler, a very active toddler who likes to wake up at 6:15am, at the same time!! I think it is safe to say, nearly 7 weeks in, we are much more sleep-deprived this time around! hah. But our love of course is abounding for both of our precious girls.
The story of how Sophia came into the world started back in June....Her due date was June 30th, and for some un-founded reason, Kurt and I were SO SURE that she would be early!! So we sat, fairly immobilized, all of June....waiting........and waiting.........My due date came and went and there really was no progress at all! I had a c-section with Madelyn and hoped to have a v-bac with Sophia, but as time passed we wondered if my body would go into labor naturally or if my doctor would have to perform another c-section, because she didn't want me to go too past my due date. So anyway, we prayed and waited, hoping some 4th of July fireworks might get things going....Nope. On July 6th we went in for a check and were told there was no progress. We were going to have a semi-induction on July 9th. It was a "semi" induction, because my doctor did not want to put me on pitocen with a prior c-section. So she was going to break my water and I was going to walk, walk, walk all around the hospital so as to start up labor! It worked! And long story short....I was in labor for about 12 hours total, but everything progressed well and I had a successful V-Bac! Yay! I felt what it was like to labor. Ouch.
Annnndd....enough about that. We have a beautiful and very big baby to show for it. Here are some photos of our first weeks.....

Welcome to the world...sweet girl!

And ohh, was she healthy...9 lbs 11 oz!!!
Proud big sis meeting Sophia for the first time...

Lots of precious sister moments already....
My dear friend, Lindsey, served as my doula through the entire labor. Having both her and Kurt by my side was a huge blessing! Thank you, Lindsey. Thank you, Kurt.
Pondering what this life is all about!
tiny toes
lots of rolls to love and squeeze!
Proud papa.
Sophia has to wear a Pavlik Harness, like Madelyn, to help one of her hips that is slightly dislocated. Should be just a few weeks...
doesn't seem to bother her much ;)

baby bathtime :)
Madelyn passing on her love of books....





My suddenly very big girl!!
What happened?!


lots of dots


at 5 weeks, Sophia started grinning at us! We haven't been able to catch it on camera yet. Here is a smile in her sleep at 2 weeks! :) :)

Looking up to sister already!

loves...

bonding with Aunt Colleen.

ohh...how I love my girls!



Just this last week, we had a friend's sister take some prof. pictures of our family of four! These are just a few of our favorites....




I sure do love where we live. Seattle is beautiful in the summer!



I think this one was the all-time favorite of the day. Those rolls look so yummy. Those eyes are deep and beautiful. And that grin is priceless.
Welcome to our crazy family, Sophia. We are honored and blessed that the Lord would entrust you to us. We pray for you and your sister, every day.
We love you so much!!

3 comments:

MP said...

congratulations again! She is beautiful, and looks alot like her sister!! I love all the photos, especially the ones of all four of you!! :)

chad and beth cunningham said...

Love Love Love your update! So happy for you and Kurt :) Maddie and Sophia are beautiful little girls. Congratulations on your new family of 4!

When Kim came to visit we talked about how fun it would be to have a TU get together. It would be great if we could make that happen!

Enjoy the start of fall and your precious daughters.

Me... said...

beautiful pictures! you look so lovely holding your sweet girl.